Pages

Followers

Wednesday 31 January 2018

Unpicked And Restitched!!!

The new quilt block I have learned to do is finished and I absolutely adore it..........


This is made from five ten inch squares. One is folded in half and sewn into the seams of the other four and when you open it out there is a square in the centre which can either be top stitched down as it is or you can roll the edges to create a kind of cathedral window effect.
My machine stitching of the curved edges was dreadful so it was unpicked and redone using the method I use for hand stitching the back of quilt binding and I think it looks so much neater..........


My only issue with this is that the squares aren't where I wanted them to be. I think in construction they get twisted round which wouldn't matter with non directional prints but these prints definitely need to be the right way up.
I'm going to make another one of these blocks and then two of another one I want to learn and then I will make them up into cushion covers.
The next thing on my list to master is free motion quilting.
Fabric used for this block is Morris Earthly Paradise from Moda.

When I got up this morning I was all hot and bothered and sat with the back door open while I had breakfast. It must have been my own personal weather front as I am now freezing cold and need to find my cardigan.

Looking forward to seeing me Ruby this afternoon. I've not seen her for two weeks and have really missed her. I also get to have her for the weekend this week. DD and I are are taking her on a shopping spree with some money for her birthday which is next Sunday. I'll keep a little back and buy her a present to unwrap on the day when we go to Doodle Mansion for birthday breakfast.
We seem to have started a new tradition in our family in getting together for breakfast on birthdays and anniversaries and I love it.

Andy is just on his way back from the hospital where he has been for a check up so I am waiting for him to get home before I put the kettle on for coffee. After that I will have a quick whizz round with the hoover to clear up after Smudge's messy breakfast. Nothing much else to do so I might prepare some fabric for my next block.

Hope you are all having a good day.
Sheila-x-

11 comments:

  1. It's lovely Sheila, pretty materials. Enjoy your snuggles with Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I have my own personal central heating system too....particularly since I stopped the HRT recently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Sooze....wouldn't it be great if it came with an off switch.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  3. It looks amazing, love the fabric. Have a great time with Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MM.
      Had a wonderful couple of hours with my girl.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  4. I have used that 10 minute block so many times, I love it and so does everyone who has a quilt made with it. I love the William Morris inspired prints, they make for a rich looking quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see me using it quite a bit too Pam.
      The WM prints are just so lush aren't they?
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  5. It looks lovely Sheila. Beautiful fabrics. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I like the fabric. I keep waiting for hot flashes. Knowing my luck I'd probably get them in the middle of summer instead of in winter when I could do with some warming up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.
It is much appreciated.
Sheila-x-