Pages

Followers

Thursday 1 February 2018

Blowing A Hooly!!!

It's very windy here again. No damage sustained as far as I can see although DD's small tool shed has finally gone to tool shed heaven. It's been blown down so often and it can't be mended this time.

I've been busy in the kitchen this morning making up a large batch of veg hash for the freezer. One portion has been used as a base for some spicy pork and beans which is our meal today over some jacket potatoes. There will be leftovers for the freezer.
I freeze individual portions in takeaway containers and DD is loving taking something hot for her lunch....or she is when her Momma remembers to take it out to defrost which I forgot to do with her spaghetti bolognaise last night. Hopefully she took a can of soup with her and still got her hot meal.

Last night I made another of the cathedral window blocks. It still turned out with the squares not quite where I wanted them but never mind....I think only I will know that.
Today I am going to be making two lots of Five Minute Blocks and that will be four cushion covers made to replace my rather tatty looking ones that are currently on the sofa.
I don't know what I will do with the squares left as they are colours I really don't like.....yellows and browns...yuck.

On with the sewing then.

Have a good day.
Sheila-x-

14 comments:

  1. I bought some big cushion pads for my sofa. I had intended to make some nice brightly coloured cushion covers. Your talk of quilting is motivating me...please can you talk some more about quilting... I might actually feel like doing it then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can talk about quilting 'til the cows come home Cherie but I am only a novice. I've made quite a few simple quilts but am only just now starting to experiment with more complicated piecing.
      Get your machine out and have a play :)
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  2. Its blowing a gale here too. Sadly the ferries are once gain cancelled for the day. Those blocks will make wonderful cushion covers, please share the end result they are inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be a pain having no ferries. I expect they bring in deliveries for the shops on the island do they.
      Will share the cushion covers when done....just need to get some backing fabric.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  3. What's in your veg hash, and how do you prepare it....do you blanch it or freeze it raw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My veg hash yesterday was just a basic one....a whole head of celery, 3 large carrots and 4 medium onions. I prepared each ingredient individually in my food processor and then mixed them together in a large bowl....if I am only making a small amount then I just go ahead and throw everything in together.
      I portioned it up into takeaway containers and froze it raw.
      You can add garlic to it but I usually leave that and add it at the time of cooking.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  4. I'm with you on yellow and brown - not nice, blue and brown even worse! Maybe it's just that I don't like brown.
    Good luck with the quilting plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brown was the colour of my early teens when I still lived at home. Brown carpet, brown curtains, brown three piece suite, brown wallpaper all with wildly clashing patterns of swirls, circles and leaves in yellow and orange. Absolutely horrible.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  5. Down with brown, although I have used it in small quantities in an Autumn quilt. Lots of rich russets, reds and orange lifted it somewhat. I used the last of my veg hash at the weekend so will be emptying the veg drawer in the fridge tomorrow to get a batch made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely down with brown and also for me...yellow and orange.

      I do like to keep veg hash in the freezer but have been a bit lazy lately. Big batch made....should be good for a while.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  6. RIP little shed...kindling heaven? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately no kindling....it's plastic and will have to go to the tip :(
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  7. Mum said it was windy where she was too. It's been windy here the last couple of days too. We're back to really cold and snow again. Sigh. Is winter over yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring will soon be here Sharon. I have daffodils and hellebores in flower so it's on it's way.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.
It is much appreciated.
Sheila-x-