Pages

Followers

Tuesday 16 January 2018

Show And Tell!!!

The quilt is finished....yay!!!
The last stitch was put in at 1am this morning.

The idea for this quilt was to use fabric from a shirt belonging to Andy's brother who passed away suddenly three years ago so I was limited to how much usable fabric there was and had to find other suitable fabrics to go with it.
The dark blue and red check is Martin's shirt, the anchor fabric is from the dreadful pyjamas I made for Andy which we still laugh about now, the cream fabric with branches and berries is from a collection called Downton....Andy loves Downton, the blue stripe and the light blue check are shirts I picked up from a charity shop and the various beige prints and plain are some fat quarters I already had in.

This was my plan.........



.....and this is the quilt......



.......with Mr Smudge getting in on the action....lol.

The backing was cut from an old much loved duvet cover. Perfect to go with all the blues but an absolute pig to work with. Despite several starching sessions it remained very soft.
Still it's done now and Andy loves it so it will now go up to be hung over the bed head and hopefully give Andy good dreams about his brother.

The veg and tomato bake I did for tea last night was really lovely and there was enough roast veg to make a pan of soup for DD to take to work for a couple of days. I just added some leftover tomato sauce and some veg stock then blitzed it down and added a little Worcestershire sauce to spice it up a bit......I will be stealing a small bowl of it for my lunch today.
DD and I never did get our bacon and eggs last week so that is what we are having tonight....quick and easy so that I can get on with tidying the sewing room ready for my next project.

Very sunny with gorgeous blue skies today but we have had a prediction for snow this evening. I'm not expecting to get any here as we rarely do but you never know.

Have a lovely day.
Sheila-x-

21 comments:

  1. Oooh, the quilt is absolutely fab, Sheila, I love the colours in it. You are sooo clever with sewing :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt Shelia you are so talented, I have a soup for tea tonight, there is a real nasty cold wind today, so just the ticket.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marlene.
      Yes it's definitely soup weather.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful Sheila. I wouldn't know where to start with sewing. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Sheila. It is nice to work with meaningful fabrics but it is a lot of work due to the softness of the cotton. DH’s is back on the living room floorvawaiting pinning. You have inspired me to get on with it.Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catriona.
      I can't tell you how many times I nearly ripped that fabric off...lol.
      Have fun with your quilt.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  5. A lovely memory quilt, isn't it amazing how much fabric comes out of a mans shirt. I made a quilt for my grandson from shirts and left all the top pockets on. I put a little toy car in each before wrapping it and he is still playing with it 6 years on. Enjoy your bacon and eggs, I am not sure what we will eat tonight, possibly jacket potato and something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam.
      Yes I was surprised how much fabric there was in a shirt and I love looking for them. The trouble is some of the charity shops have started charging such a lot for them now. Like everythig else you have to shop around.
      Love the idea of the pockets on a quilt.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! I always regret not keeping scraps from clothes I made for my children when they were little (I made everything for the girls and a lot for the boys) but I didn’t—and making five quilts would probably be too much for my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beryl.
      I know what you mean...my to do list is getting longer by the day.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  7. Such a lovely memory quilt. I love the idea of using shirts for a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      Yes you can pick up some lovely shirts and blouses too. I've stopped collecting for the moment as I have bought fabric I need to use.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  8. A lovely quilt to treasure.

    Joan (DevoN)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A quilt for dreams and memories...priceless x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilt is lovely Sheila. Lots of love and good memories in it for sure. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.
It is much appreciated.
Sheila-x-