Pages

Followers

Wednesday 20 December 2017

Pleased As Punch!!!

Now that the cold weather is here and we are using the new oil heating more I am wondering why on earth we didn't change over sooner. We are all amazed that we are so warm and cosy without having to lug buckets of coal and lay the fire.
We don't have the heating on a timer as we prefer to just put it on when needed. There was never any heat in the morning when we had the coal fire so we don't see the need to wake up to a hot house and similarly none of us like a warm bedroom so it is turned off to leave time for the rooms to cool a little before we go to bed. It is turned on late afternoon so that the house is warm for when DD gets home from working outside and turned off at about 9pm.
All in all it is working out to be quite economical so far.....and there is the added bonus of no mess.

Last night I decided to take advantage of us being in town dropping Ruby off and pick up some things off my list for the festivities. I was lucky enough to be in T***o at the right time and picked up a half price loaf to use for my bread sauce and £5 worth of sprouts for 90p. I can't believe they were clearing them out as they look perfectly fresh to me. They are now in the cool of the shed to keep them nice until Christmas Eve when DD does all the veg prep.
All I have left on my list now is salad and carrots which will be fetched on Saturday morning and that will be me done with town. No going out on Christmas Eve for me.

Today I aim to make a pan of soup which will be the starter on Christmas Day.....as requested by Ruby.....and I'll make the bread sauce too so that will be more of the meal sorted.
I also need to have a sort out in the fridge and make some space but I am putting that off as long as I can.....it's cold in there you know.
Tea tonight......I haven't a clue.....lol.

OK....off to warm my hands on a cup of coffee and then on with the chopping.

Are you all having a lovely day?
Sheila-x-


10 comments:

  1. That's a whole lot of sprouts Sheila, but I would be hard put to walk past them at that price. I like them in a stir fry and they make good pesto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every single one will get used Pam. I love sprouts and can't get enough of them. The only thing I can't eat them with is lamb because I think they taste a bit odd with mint sauce. Other than that they go in soups and stir fries and I also love them stir fried on their own with garlic and some soy sauce.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  2. That's another thing I will have to do I forgot about bread sauce, I picked up sprouts for 20p in Asda today. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not Christmas dinner without bread sauce. I would get lynched if I didn't make any....lol.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  3. I am going to use your bread sauce recipe again this year. What a great bargain on the sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh....I hope you enjoy it again then MM.
      I'll be eating sprouts until they come out of my ears....but I am fine with that.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  4. Only my husband likes sprouts, so I only needed a few. I liked them as a child but can't stand them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely adore them....but only when they are in season. I have tried them out of season and they taste nothing like proper sprouts.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  5. I don't eat roast dinners but I love sprouts! I slice them up finely and roast them in the oven with sea salt and olive oil - yum!
    You are so organised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous Vix....I love them roasted in the oven.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.
It is much appreciated.
Sheila-x-