Pages

Followers

Wednesday 11 October 2017

An Absolute Disarster Dahling!!!

I think I am going to pretend that Monday never happened.
It was definitely my day for disarsters in the kitchen.
Soup was on and simmering merrily away and the bread was whirring merrily away in the breadmaker.......or so I thought.....but it wasn't. The flaming thing was whirring but the paddle wasn't doing anything at all.
I had used a packet mix that I had in the cupboard and it looked way too dry and thick so that came out and I redid it with my own mix. No joy so that came out and had to be done by hand.
Meanwhile....totally distracted and brain fogged by the doings of the breadmaker I went and double salted the soup which turned it into the domestic version of the Dead Sea in a pan. I tried everything to rescue it but it wasn't having any of it so out it went.
Very unfrugal and wasteful but there you go.
I redeemed myself by making a gorgeous chicken and veg bake topped with sweet potato yesterday so I am now back in my pairs good books.
.......and to add insult to injury I never got chance to play with my overlocker either Monday or yesterday.

Fast forward to today.......all jobs done, simple tea planned as Ruby will be here and joy of joys I have threaded and used the overlocker.
I have to say that it was so much easier than I expected. I did try Pam's recommendation of tying the new threads to the threads that came in the machine but one went and snapped so I had to take all of them out and start from the beginning.
Threaded up I cautiously tested it, it worked first time and I just need to have a fiddle with the tension when I go to sew a garment.
I can see this machine will get used a lot. Love it.

Very grey and windy here today but it's not cold so the back door is open to let in some fresh air.
Nothing much to do until Ruby comes so I really am going to get those Advent calendars finished....or at least get as much done as I can before she arrives.

Thanks for dropping by today.
Sheila-x-

14 comments:

  1. We all have days like these Shelia, I am doing bread in the slow cooker and soup today, but it is looking good at the moment, enjoy your time with Ruby. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umming and aahing over whether or not to replace the breadmaker. If I do I will definitely try cooking the bread in the slow cooker as I really don't like the hole the paddle leaves in the bottom of the loaf.
      Hope your soup was better than mine Marlene...lol.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  2. How do you get on with the packet mixes Sheila, sadly we are not keen? Have a great evening with Ruby. I must admit to been a tad jealous of the overlocker, I am ever hopeful that Santa might take pity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had some lovely ones in the past MM but I have only ever tried flavoured breads like the cheese or cheese and onion, sundried tomato etc. What possessed me to buy the Lidl Farmhouse bread mix I do not know. It looked like something you would use to point up the bricks on the house and I don't expect it would have tasted much better. It's done for breadmaker though....deader than a dodo and I can't make my mind up as to whether I will replace it or not.

      I've only sewn one piece of fabric with the overlocker so far but I think it's going to be getting a good old workout once I get started on the dressmaking.
      I'd write that Santa a letter and tell him that you really must have one...lol.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  3. I have never tried the packet mixes,I won't bother now. It must be the day for bread making and soup, that is happening here as well. I used my overlocker the other morning and whizzed round the inside edges of a pile of cushion covers in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well really....do not try the Lidl Farmhouse bread mix.....I think it's actually a crumbled up farmhouse...lol.
      I have had some good mixes in the past but on the whole I do prefer my own mix from the recipe book that came with the breadmaker....with the addition of some bread improver.

      Can't wait to put my overlocker through it's paces when I get round to some dressmaking.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  4. Chicken and veg bake sounds good. Have fun with your Ruby xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken bake was really nice. I managed to make two from the ingredients I had so one has been passed on to my son for their tea tomorrow as I didn't want it to go into the freezer I am trying to empty.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  5. My bread is ALWAYS totally inedible so don't worry too much :) Hope you had a lovely day with Ruby x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine's usually not too bad when I use the recipe from the breadmaker book and I only ever mix, knead and prove in the machine then bake in the oven.
      The bread mix looked like concrete mix...lol.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  6. Up the creek with no paddle then! Lots of soup making here too...leek and potato and vegetable...hugs. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, ha.....yep....no homemade bread here for the foreseeable future.
      Enjoy your soup.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  7. It took me ages to pluck up courage to use my overlocker but I do adore it! It's addictive to me, sewing and cutting at the same time!!! My disarster tonight was mindlessly tipping a whole jar of chicken seasoning on the chicken breasts on the grill.... I simply washed it off and did them plain! What a blooming mess though. I have no idea why I did it either!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there may well be a bit of overlocker worshipping going on here too Rach. Why did I not have one years ago?
      Oh poor you and your chicken seasoning. I'm still beating myself up about the soup but I think sometimes these lapses in concentration are unavoidable when you think how much we need to get done in a day......that is my excuse and I am sticking to it...lol.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.
It is much appreciated.
Sheila-x-