Pages

Followers

Friday 1 September 2017

Running The Gauntlet!!!

Happy September.

A lovely sunny morning here and nice enough to hang out some washing which I have done although I did have to run the gauntlet of heaps of cat mess all over me ruddy lawn.
I am getting really tired of it now. We are having to clean the lawn every day just lately.
There must have been an explosion in cat owning around here because where as we used to get the occasional mess we now get eight to ten done over night.
Apologies to all cat lovers but I really don't like cats.

I've just replied to a comment from Marlene at Simple Living regarding the oxtail soup.
This is the first time I have ever made homemade and I really don't think that it is worth the time and effort to make. Sure it tastes nice and there are no preservatives in it but it has taken two days to make as you have to leave it in the fridge overnight for any fat to solidify to be able to remove it and that is after simmering it for three and a half hours. Also there is the cost. At one time oxtail would have been very cheap to buy but not now so I also think that cost wise it isn't worth making either.
This batch will be eaten and enjoyed but I won't be making it again. I'll stick to my veg soups.

It's going to be a busy weekend here.
Now that the bathroom is finished all bar the carpet....I need to sort out a storage space for everything that came out of the bathroom but won't fit back in again due to losing the shelves in the alcove.....formed by the false shower wall..... disappearing.
There is other stuff wants sorting on the landing and we are also going to have a sort out of films we no longer want and take them to CEX. Might as well make a bit of money on them and make space for more 😃
DD is hoping to get out in the garden and do some tidying up but I don't know what Andy has planned I'm sure.

I'm slowly catching up with all of your blogs. Boy are there a lot of posts to catch up on but it's lovely to read them.

Well Andy is up now....quite early today so I will go and shove the hoover round and then I might make a start on sorting out those films seeing as I have no cooking to do today.
Just chicken and salad for tea with crusty rolls....yay....lovely to be back in charge of me own kitchen.

Hope you all have a fab weekend.
Sheila-x-

15 comments:

  1. I use the slow cooker when making oxtail soup, which is cheaper but I must admit I am not sure it is worth the effort these days. Glad you are up and about again, wishing you a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although it tastes way better than tinned oxtail soup it really is such a faff.
      Hope you have a lovely weekend too in your beautiful corner of the world.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  2. Oh my I do miss oxtail soup. It is not available in the shops here in Midwest USA -

    Did you get your washing dry? Your tea sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be horrible to miss foodstuff that you can't get Sandy.
      Yes washing dried beautifully and we really enjoyed our chicken and salad.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  3. We used to have trouble with cats on our front garden - the neighbours 2 doors down have about 5 of them. We bought one of those ultrasonic deterrent things and it worked a treat. Literally overnight, no more problem so it might be worth considering buying one if you've not already tried it.

    I love all soup apart from Oxtail and Mulligatawny.

    Thomas has recently sold a load of Xbox games to CEX and opted for the voucher because you get a lot more than if you take cash. Then he sold the voucher to Mark lol. He's obviously got a good business head on him.
    Hope the worst of your illness is behind you now. Have a lovely weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will definitely have to invest in one of those ultrasonic things as it is one thing we haven't tried yet.

      Mulligatawny soup is gross isn't it?

      Clever Thomas selling his voucher on.

      Still feeling 100% better.
      Hope you have a great weekend too.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  4. Hallo Sheila, glad you're feeling better.
    I'm not a cat person although my daughter has one and she's lovely. I would have thought your dog would be a deterrent for cats coming into your garden, but then they probably come in when your dog isn't around.

    Joan (Devon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joan.
      Lol....Smudge barks at the cats when they are at the other side of the fence but yes they tend to come into the garden overnight.
      Have a lovely weekend.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  5. I find oxtail to fatty so use ,when I can get it, ostrich neck no fat wonderful taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ostrich at The Knockerdown Inn at Carsington best watch out then else I shall be after it...lol-x-

      Delete
  6. Good to see you back reading and writing. I once thought it would be nice to make oxtail soup until I found how much oxtails cost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Sue.
      Yes oxtail is quite expensive probably due to these posh chefs making it popular again.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  7. I once made it when I got a yellow sticker oxtail. I find it toooo strongly meaty flavoured for my liking for soup so I simmered it for hours and used the meat in a meat n potato pie. Best one I ever made, but ugh what a faff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen it in the supermarket Rach. We got ours from the farm shop and I have to say it was a lot more delicate in flavour than I was expecting. The soup tastes a little like the beef tea that used to be made for invalids.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
    2. How odd that they tasted so different! Maybe mine was from a bison or summat! It was inSainsrobbers mine was, I think not long after Nigella cooked it on TV or something. I am curious now to see if they have them on the butcher's counter... I will report back!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.
It is much appreciated.
Sheila-x-