Pages

Followers

Tuesday 12 September 2017

Tasty!!!

The Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash bake we had last night was absolutely delicious so I thought I would share with you how I made it and show you what it looked like.
The original recipe from Sue was her way of using up a glut of courgettes but as I can't abide courgettes I decided to do a bit of swapping on the veg front.
It really is one of the nicest dishes I have ever made.



1 small or half a large butternut squash
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 large red onion
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp ground black pepper
1 Tsp garlic granules
1 440g jar tomato and basil sauce or the equivalent homemade tomato sauce.
2 slices bread
1 handful of grated cheese.

Peel the squash and potatoes and cut into chunks.
Peel the onion and cut into eighths.
In a large bowl mix the olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic granules. 
Add the vegetables and stir to coat and tip onto a baking tray.
Alternatively you could just spray the baking tray and the veg with a light oil spray.
Bake at 180C (Fan 160) until the veg are slightly charred but still hold their shape.

Tip the veg into an ovenproof dish and top with the tomato sauce.
Make the slices of bread into breadcrumbs, mix in the cheese and then spread over the veg.
Bake at 180c (Fan 160) until the top is browned and crispy.

Serve with extra veg.

I think this would also be lovely served as a side dish to grilled chicken or pork chops.

Today I am cooking for the meat monster.
Minted Lamb Meatballs in Gravy with new potatoes, dark green cabbage and cauliflower in white sauce and mint sauce.
That should keep him happy until break time at work....lol.

......and that is about me today....being mostly a kitchen slave but with the alter ego of a Dark Defender.....fighting off huge and monsterous flies......wooden spoon in one hand and fly swatter in t'other. Just have to make sure I don't get them mixed up....lol.
The evil damned things are out in force today.

Hope you are all having a lovely day.
Sheila-x-

13 comments:

  1. As I said to you the other day Shelia I will be making this one, a keeper for sure. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the look of it Marlene.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  2. Goodness that looks so good and I love your plate. I'd eat your cooking any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy.
      The plates are only cheap because I have a husband with banana fingers....he breaks everything.
      You'd be welcome to eat with us any day if you didn't live so far away.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  3. Ta for the mention, you recipe sounds better than mine and looks good too

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does look good. Your cooking always sounds so delicious. You keep your family well fed. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules.
      I think I'd be out on my ear if I didn't feed them well....lol.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  5. Looks delicious, definitely on my list to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is going to be a good winter recipe MM.....filling and comforting without the stodge.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  6. I copied a recipe or rather stole!! Ha ha for pork fillet with apples, stuffing and bacon wrapped around it that you mentioned a while ago, it was yummy. The butternut squash dish and the minted lamb meatballs are next!! Do you use recipe books or the internet? Or do you come up with these great ideas yourself? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like my recipes Nat.
      I don't really use recipe books much any more. I'm a kind of...chuck stuff together and see what it comes out like kinda gal...lol.
      I have at odd times used the internet when I want something specific that will need weighed ingredients but other than that it is mostly my own ideas working with ingredients I know my pair will like.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  7. This is a really good idea that you have going on. manufacturing
    หนังผี

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.
It is much appreciated.
Sheila-x-