Pages

Followers

Monday 1 October 2018

You Can Tell It's Autumn.......!!!

.......as today I am going to be cutting up red cabbage ready for pickling.
Andy loves it. I am not a fan but I always do him a good big jar to last him a while.....if he doesn't eat it all with his Christmas pork pie.
No onions to pickle this year as we still have two very large jars left from last year so I think I might have a go at making some tomato and chilli jam to have with the Christmas ham.

The hessian and raffia have been fixed to the jars I have collected. I just need to pick up the ones DDIL has and do those then I can get the Cricut machine out and do all the leaves. 
I am so glad I didn't get rid of that machine and the cartridges when I gave up making cards.

It's a lovely bright but cool day here in Staffordshire and I have come over all domestic goddess. I will be going outside to clean windows and tidy up the herb table later....but first I will go and tackle that cabbage.

Have a fabulous day.
Sheila-x-

11 comments:

  1. Definitely Autumn. I had to scrape the car windscreen this morning. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems quite early to be scraping windscreens doesn't it Jules but there is a lovely bite in the air now.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  2. We love pickled red cabbage, I don't pickle it in a jar though, I do a braised red cabbage.
    Here is my red cabbage recipe.

    2 tbsp Olive Oil
    Generous knob of Butter
    1 red Cabbage (600g when chopped)
    1 Onion
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    1/2 tsp Nutmeg
    3 tbsp Soft Brown Sugar
    150 ml Red Wine Vinegar
    3 Eating Apples (peeled & diced)
    2 tbsp Red Currant Jelly (Optional)

    Finely slice the cabbage, and onion.(keep seperate) - I use the Kenwood for slicing.
    Heat the butter and oil in a large lidded saucepan/pot.
    When the hot ad the onion and fry lightly until softened.
    Stir in the spices.
    Then add the cabbage and fry lightly for around 5 minutes.
    Stir in the apples, sugar and red wine vinegar.
    Cover with a lid and cook gently for 30 minutes.
    Stir in the red currant jelly - this is optional, it just takes away a little of the tartness.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used your recipe last year Marlene and very delicious it was too. I'll be doing it again for Christmas lunch.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  3. We love red cabbage, a must to go with the cold cuts. I have already made several portions of braised read cabbage. Hope you manage to get your windows cleaned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love pickled red cabbage MM but I think it doesn't love me any more :(
      Some will be braised later to go into the freezer for festive meals.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  4. Ooooh, I love pickled red cabbage, lucky hubby! Autumn has definitely arrived in Worcestershire too, the mornings and evenings are decidedly chilly now. BTW thanks so much for the heads up re Peppa Pig Sheila, I got littlest GD a lovely outfit for just £6 :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving the evenings being chilly. The blankets are on the sofa and the candles are scattered around to add a lovely cosy glow.
      Oh I'm glad you found a Peppa Pig outfit for littlest GD.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  5. You almost shamed me into cleaning my windows... almost but not quite.. :-) I love red cabbage but Tony isn't a fan. I want to try making red onion marmalade.. Tasted it earlier this year and it is delish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good job I didn't shame you into doing your windows as I didn't do mine yesterday after all....I got sidetracked by glue and glitter...lol.
      I adore red onion marmalade especially with some nice pate and toast...so yummy.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  6. D O M E S T I C G O D D E S S ! Spoiling that man or what! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.
It is much appreciated.
Sheila-x-