Pages

Followers

Thursday 12 September 2019

Frugal Kitchen Doings!!!

Thank you all for the lovely anniversary wishes yesterday and a Happy Anniversary to you Sandi.
It was a quiet-ish day. Andy is still recovering from the virus and not feeling great. I hope he is better by the weekend.

After I made the pie for last night's tea I had some pastry left over so it was wrapped and left in the fridge where I also found a couple of slices of ham that needed using up, half a peeled onion, four eggs getting close to their use by date and some grated cheese so that little lot has been turned into eight individual portion quiches this morning. One each for tea with salad and five to go in the freezer for another meal and a couple for packed lunches.
Not bad for a few leftovers and slightly healthier than the mince pies I could have made with one of my 4p jars of mincemeat....that needs using up before Christmas so next time I need to make pastry I'll do that.

Over the last few weeks I have been buying things for my food store ready for when Andy retires in two weeks time. We will do a meat shop before then and I aim to spend some happy hours in the kitchen cooking and baking for the freezer so that I have stuff to pull out if we are going to have a busy day and I won't have time to be in the kitchen. I'm looking forward to that.

As tea tonight will be quick and easy now that the main part is done I think I'll go and rev up the machine and get a bit more sewing done.

Hope you are all having a lovely day.
Sheila-x-

8 comments:

  1. Go you Sheila...preparing for a Winter of uncertainty! I'm sure you will manage just fine. Hope Andy is soon better, and hoping this message does indeed manage to get published. Tried loads of things, now downloaded a new web browser. Jackie. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Andy is better soon too....he's not very good with illness as most men aren't.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  2. Hope Andy is feeling better. The quiches sound delicious, its one of my go to meals I always keep a couple in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quiches were very nice indeed. Simple but tasty.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  3. I must stock up my freezer soon, but first I need to organise exactly what is left in there (son goes in rummaging sometimes!) I like to do it when someone is around to, as it is a big chest freezer and I'm not overly tall. I never fallen in, but not taking any chances, haha! Hope Andy's feeling better now xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy rummages a lot.....always looking for something to eat. Drives me mad.
      I love getting the freezer stocked up with homemade things. There will be lots of different soups, casseroles,pies and sauces to keep us fed through the Winter. This is my most favourite time of year.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  4. Happy belated anniversary to you and Andy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A belated Happy Anniversary, Sheila. It's so nice to use leftovers to make something tasty. I always think of it as sort of 'free food' because lots of people would discard that bit of pastry or whatever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.
It is much appreciated.
Sheila-x-