Pages

Followers

Tuesday 14 January 2020

My Start On Twenty For 2020!!!

I keep rabbiting on about my cross stitch so I though it might be a good idea to share with you what I am up to.
I have been very inspired by Priscilla Blain  and her daughter Chelsea who also put out a video on Facebook at Flosstube-Stitching with The Housewives every Saturday and would really love to have some Christmas pieces I can bring out every year to decorate with.
My challenge to myself is to complete twenty pieces large and small this year in time for Christmas 2020
My first piece is this one which I am currently stitching....


This was purchased from Etsy as a PDF download and I love it.


This is my version and I have made changes such as using 14 count Yorkshire Aida rather than struggling to use an evenweave fabric which kills my eyes. I also wanted the background to be grey to be in keeping with my decor and this fabric is just gorgeous. If I can find some more I would like to use it for all of my projects.
Other changes made are using green for the tree branches instead of doing them all brown and adding a pale yellow into the windows as light.
I am also using different threads to those called for as I was lucky enough to buy a good stash of Anchor threads last year when Hobbycraft were selling them off at 50p each. I chose lots of reds and greens specifically for doing Christmas projects.
I won't be finishing this piece like the cover photo either. I'm not sure yet how it will be done but it will be different....not because I don't like it but I just don't want it to be the same.

I am absolutely loving doing cross stitch again although my tastes have changed greatly since I used to do it over twenty years ago. Then I used to like doing the huge Mirabilia charts with beads and metallic threads. Not sure my eyes would like those now though.
Now I am all about the Christmas charts and there are thousands out there to choose from so I won't be short of things to stitch anytime soon.

Cupboard sorting has been done over the last couple of days but I still have two to go.
Household jobs have been done this morning so I am going to have a bit of stitching time now until I have to go and chop veg for the chicken tray bake I am making for tea.

Hope you are having a wonderful day.
Sheila-x-



13 comments:

  1. It's beautiful, Sheila. And can I just say, I prefer your version. 😆
    I now have a lovely clean and tidy food cupboard thanks to your nudge yesterday. I wonder how long it will last? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thank you Jules.
      . Hopefully your food cupboard will stay tidy longer than mine will with an Andy in the house who never puts anything back in it's right place.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  2. That looks pretty. I can't wait to see it finished

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. I can wait to finish it.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  3. I really like the gray fabric you have chosen!! Also like you making things just a little bit different!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Jules I much prefer your version - it is beautiful and it has made me want to do one for myself - it is a long time since I did any cross stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much.
      I am really enjoying getting back into it.
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  5. That looks lovely Sheila and I can really appreciate all the work you're putting into it. Twenty in 20 sounds a big challenge but I'm sure you'll pull it off. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne.
      I am determined to do the twenty :)
      Hugs-x-

      Delete
  6. I think the grey aida looks better than the original picture, Sheila. What is the difference between ordinary aida and Yorkshire aida? Back in the day, when I did cross stitch, I just used the run of the mill white aida. Your picture will look fab once it’s finished xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the grey too Ann. I think it makes the stitched area stand out better as well as the fact it goes with decor.
    I'm sure the name Yorkshire refers to the colour of the fabric as it doesn't feel any different to plain aida although it may be a little softer. I stitch in hand rather than using a hoop or frame and it scrunches up lovely :)
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.
It is much appreciated.
Sheila-x-